13 Ways to End Sleepless Nights
Here are 13 ways to end sleepless nights from the Globe:
- Use the bedroom for sex and sleep, only. Don't surf the Internet or balance your checkbook there.
- If you can't fall asleep after 15 minutes or so, get up and do something relaxing. Don't lie there and become frustrated.
- Avoid any brain-stimulating activity before going to sleep.
- Don't eat heavy or spicy meals, which might cause heartburn or discomfort. Don't go to bed hungry or too full.
- Turn clocks away from you to avoid checking the time at night.
- Develop a relaxing ritual at bedtime, such as reading a calming book.
- Share any nightly care-giving duties with a partner, if possible.
- Avoid taking naps during the day or early evening. If you must rest, limit your catnap to 15 to 45 minutes.
- Get lots of stimulating exercise, but not before bed.
- Try to go to bed and get up at the same time every day.
- Take a warm bath or drink a hot nonalcoholic beverage before bed.
- Limit caffeine. If the insomnia is severe, avoid caffeine after lunch.
- If you are taking medications, your insomnia may be medical. You need to be evaluated by a medical practitioner or sleep specialist.