Get up to an extra 5 miles per gallon
Are your running on empty? How would you like to get up to an extra 5 miles per gallon? If you perform these simple tips you can get the most out of a tank full.
- Monitor tires -- Under-inflated tires or poorly aligned wheels waste fuel by forcing the engine to work harder. (Let the tires cool down before checking the air pressure.) Out-of-line wheels, as evidenced by uneven tread wear, should be aligned by a professional.
- Remove excess weight -- Remove unnecessary items from the vehicle. Less weight means better mileage.
- Consolidate trips and errands -- Also, try to travel when traffic is light so you can avoid stop-and-go conditions.
- Avoid excessive idling -- Shut off the engine while waiting for friends and family.
- Observe speed limits -- Besides being dangerous, 75 mph really burns the gas.
- Keep your engine "tuned up --" A well-maintained engine operates at peak efficiency, maximizing gas mileage.
- Use windows and air conditioning wisely -- Your mileage should improve if you keep the windows closed at highway speeds, since air drag is reduced. This is true even with the air conditioning on -assuming that the system is in good working order. But turn the air conditioning off in stop-and-go traffic to save fuel.